Friday 23 November 2018

Pantum M6550NW Google Cloud Print

I'm so tired of installing weird drivers and monitoring programmes for printers (HP, I'm looking FIRMLY at you and your over-the-top bloatware!).  That's one reason why I love Google Cloud Print.

Unfortunately, although my printer was advertised as "cloud print ready" - it really wasn't.  Logging into the print server and heading to the "Network settings" - "Protocol Settings" revealed no mention at all of Google Cloud Print registration.  Argh!

I took the time to back and forth with their technical support department.  First they showed me where the firmware update was SUPPOSE to be located : on their home page, under "AirPrint" in the lower right corner of the page - not exactly intuitive.

Of course, this firmware wasn't the latest version.  Sigh.

So then they sent me to this link:

https://we.tl/t-SdYupEMb4y

I cannot promise if this link will last forever, but if you need a copy of the firmware, feel free to hit me up in the comments and I will try to repost it in better place.

The file is rar-ed, so make sure you have a copy of 7zip or something similar to extract it first.  You also DO need to do this with a USB cable (at least, I wanted to be safe).  Run the batch file, not the executable, and then reboot the printer.  Unfortunately, the printer loses all settings during a firmware update, so you'll have to go through all the settings again to get them how you like them.  To connect to wifi, check out this blog post.

With the new firmware installed, you can get back to the server, "Network settings" - "Protocol Settings" - "Google Cloud Print" and register as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment