Friday 23 November 2018

Pantum M6550NW Wireless Connection Issues

So I bought this printer originally for my mother in law.  She was looking for something to print as well as copy documents and the price is challenging to argue with.

When it first arrived, I had loads of challenges connecting it to her home network via wifi.  There were two main issues with this printer.  The first was that her router seemed to be enforcing Access Point Isolation even when the box was unchecked.  Three successive firmware updates solved that problem, but by then, I had already brought in an HP replacement for the Pantum and decided that I would bring this machine home where I had more time to cipher out issues - and issues it has.

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent printer for the money (at least, after owning it for about two weeks), but there's little chance a normal could get this thing running to its full potential wirelessly.  I think it's good for at least three separate posts.

In this case, getting it set up for wireless printing - you do NOT need to hook up the USB cable to a computer to accomplish this.  Just search for the self-generated hotspot.  It usually goes by the name "Pantum-AP-xxxxxx".  Connect to this bad boy, WPA password of "12345678", and then head to IP address "192.168.223.1"

Log in to the print server with username "admin" and password "000000".

From here you can hit up "Setting" - "Wireless Settings" - "Wireless Network".

Ensure that the "Basic Status of" - "Turn on" radio button is selected.

Under "Search for Hotspot", select your home network, and then under "Authentication", enter your credentials as required.  (WEP/WPA and the appropriate password, or in my crazy case - No Authentication!)

Select "Apply" at the bottom of the page, and your printer should now be connected to your wifi!  No USB connection required!

I wanted to have this printer always take the same IP address, as I find that can help smooth out issues further down the line.  I know you can usually do that through your router, but in this case, I did it from the printer's web server in the "Network settings" - "Protocol Settings" - "IPv4" settings.  There seems little rhyme or reason to their use of capitalization on their screens.


No comments:

Post a Comment